MCPS and Paint Branch High School are excited to announce that registration for Spring Sports IS NOW OPEN and will close on April 14th. The Spring season officially kicks off on April 17th! We are looking forward to providing a safe and structured atmosphere for our student athletes and coaches. All participation is voluntary for student athletes and coaches.
How to Register
Students must be registered by a parent through the MCPS ParentVue Portal. Registration will remain open through February 22, 2021. Registration will close on this date to allow coaches with the opportunity to group students appropriately and for coaches and schools to plan program operations.
ParentVue Troubleshooting Information
If a parent is having trouble logging into the MCPS ParentVue Portal:
MCPS Links for:
If you have never activated your parent account:
- Parents were sent activation information at the beginning of the school year, which included an Activation Key. If you still have this information, use it to activate your parent account. If you do not have the activation information, email Paint Branch Media Specialist, Eileen_Gardner@mcpsmd.org. Be sure to include the student’s name, ID, and parent name in the email. You can also call the Main Office at Paint Branch at 301-388-9900 during normal office hours.
- Forgot your password? Click on the Forgot Password link on the ParentVue Portal.
- Forgot the email address you used to activate your account? Email Paint Branch Athletic Director Heather_A_Podosek@mcpsmd.org. Be sure to include the student’s name, ID, and parent name in the email.
Students should complete their pre-participation physical (MCPS Form SR-8) so that the medical eligibility form (last page of SR-8 and the COVID statement page ) is ready for online submission or for submission to the coach prior to tryouts/practices. Physicals are valid for one calendar year. Note: This is a change from the policy during the virtual engagement in the first semester. At that time, physicals were valid for two years. A partial list of Clinics that offer Sports Physicals within the Montgomery County area is available online, as well as the Care for Kids Program for reduced cost physicals. Physicals can be uploaded by the parent during the registration process. However, if a parent needs to submit a physical after the student has already been registered, email an electronic copy of the pre-participation physical (MCPS Form SR-8) and the COVID Statement page to Paint Branch Athletic Director Heather_A_Podosek@mcpsmd.org
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the timeline for the start of sports?
Registration will open on Monday, March 22nd and close April 15th. This will give our coaches time to educate stakeholders, as we prepare for in-person operations. The spring season, per the Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association (MPSSAA) calendar, runs from April 17, 2021 through June 19, 2021
What is the MCPS policy on participation by coaches and/or students in in-person activities? In-person programming will be optional for coaches and student-athletes. As a result, program offerings will be school and team-specific, depending on the selection of coaches and the interest of student-athletes.
Will we have contests and games?
It is important to note that in-person programming will begin with conditioning and skills-based practices/tryouts, which must occur for a minimum of 20 calendar days (starting with the first practice) prior to any contests or competition, per MPSSAA regulations. Activities will be conducted in-person to the extent possible throughout the semester, pending health metrics and necessary approval.
What if a coach opts not to return to in-person activities?
As stated above, in-person participation is optional for all coaches (and students). If a coach opts not to participate in in-person activities, the school will offer virtual activities during the season.
What if a student wants to participate, but the student and the parent/guardian do not opt for in-person activities?
Paint Branch will only offer virtual activities if the coach opts not to participate in-person. For coaching staffs that have more than one coach, it is possible that Paint Branch will offer both in-person and virtual activities if all of the coaches do not opt to participate in-person. However, registration is for in-person participation.
What adjustments will be made to operations based on COVID-19?
The following resources are available for students and parents/guardians regarding the operations of the MCPS athletics program. All documents, information, and guidance are subject to change, based on the ever-changing dynamics of COVID-19.
- Return to R.A.I.S.E. Video – this video provides an overview of the protocol and procedures in the Return to R.A.I.S.E. Strategic Plan. The video was filmed in late-October–guidelines and procedures may change, per state and local recommendations.
- COVID-19 Athletics Information Webpage – all information regarding the return of in-person programming is available here; updates will continue to be posted on this site.